WWI in the Herald: Archive
WEDNESDAY 28 APRIL 1915
An effort is being made by the National Rifle Association to form a corps of sharpshooters for service abroad.
All the rifle clubs of New South Wales have been circularised, asking for volunteers between 18 and 45 years old.
As there are over 20,000 riflemen in the State, it is considered there should be no difficulty in forming the corps.
A combined Admiralty and War Office communique has been issued.
The general attack in the Dardanelles by the fleet and army was resumed yesterday.
Disembarkation of the army, covered by the fleet, was begun before sunrise at various points on the Gallipoli Peninsula, and, despite the serious opposition of the enemy, from behind strong entrenchments and entanglements, was completely successful.
Before nightfall, a large force had been established ashore, and the landing of troops continues.
“The Times” welcomes the landing of General Sir Ian Hamilton’s army at the Dardanelles. It says it would seem that there was conjoint action between the two services throughout.
It is probable that the navy was watching the lines at Bulair while the landing force was attacking the south-westerly end of the Gallipoli Peninsula in order to cover further landing operations.
The attention of the Germans and Turks was diverted by feints at other points, giving the Allies in Gallipoli time to entrench, which they have done successfully.
Senator Pearce, the Minister for De fence, said today that the authorities were unable to recognise any special military corps such as the Sharpshooters Corps suggested in Sydney.
“The place for the good shots is with the bad shots, so that the general shooting standard would be raised,” he added.
(From Embarkation Rolls)
Pte Charles McKeachie, West Maitland, 9th Reinfts 7th ALH Regt
Pte Sidney James Wynne, East Maitland, 13th Inf Bn